Tuesday, November 20, 2018

More on Mary

I have heard it said that our children are a blessing to us. It is an not uncommon sentiment I had never taken literally, but my daughter Mary has given me a literal example many times over. The verychild I gave birth to and actually devoted my being to ends up goving ME sage advice quite often.

Here is a tiny little example:

Last night I was preoccupied/worried about the looming threat of snow as I fiddled with my hair in the mirror. I said I cannot make up my mind. I was thinking about what exactly I ought to plan to do about my minivan which could NOT stay parked on the street, but thinking this was a personal matter I quickly switched my comment's aim to my hair. I really did worry about letting my bangs grow out and now would be a time that I would cut them, and then lament having done so.
So, Mary said, "well, it seems to me like someone (meaning me)needs to go directly to bed. I really mean it, mom. Leave your hair alone and you will not need to wake up regretting you cut your hair. You would probably just pull it back anyhow to look like you didn't cut your bangs."
Then, I truly slept better and longer than I ever have and woke up glad I did not cut my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment